Are you looking for a way to increase your living space or a new way to update your home without drastically changing its footprint? One of the easiest ways to add more room to your home is to utilize betterthe unused space you already have. You may not need an addition. Just look around your own home! The basement and garage are the perfect places to start. In this blog post, you’ll find some garage and basement remodelling ideas to help you expand or create new home spaces.
Most basements are dark areas where we store seasonal decorations, old toys, and anything else not used regularly. This is the perfect place- a basement remodelling project – to begin reclaiming your space.
Firstly, think about what the basement environment naturally lends itself to. You can save money if you think creatively and turn the negative aspects of the space into positives. For example, a lack of light would be a drawback in many rooms. However, converting the space into a home theatre is quite useful.
Here are some other basement remodelling ideas:
- Play area, teen hangout, or music studio. A basement’s isolation creates a sound break for a children’s play area, a teenager’s hangout or a music studio.
- Exercise room or recreation room. The large basement space lends itself to an exercise room with lots of equipment or a recreation room large enough for a pool table and other games.
- Wine cellar: The cool environment of a basement easily lends itself to a wine cellar.
The most important thing to remember before you begin any basement remodelling is to solve any moisture problems you might encounter in the future. Even if your basement rarely has dampness or flooding, it’s best to solve the problem completely before beginning any renovation work.
Many people find that a garage offers the perfect environment to house their home office, studio space, or workshop. Many garages are attached to or near the home. Therefore they can often be easily fitted with the same comforts as your home has, such as heating, cooling, phone wiring and even plumbing.
Transforming your garage doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your storage area. Many garages today have become multifunctional, allowing cars, general storage, a home office and/or workshop all in the same space!
If you have lost too much storage space (after your garage modifications), consider building a small storage shed in your yard. This shed can store tools, sporting equipment and seasonal items. A building separate from the house will expand your storage space, allowing you to use the garage in ways you could not use in a shed: electricity or heating, for example.
In addition to remodelling your current garage space, you could consider an addition above the garage. Raising the roof and adding a room for workspace above your existing garage can give you additional space. This increases the value of your home and does not interfere with the existing floor plan.
Here are some other garage remodelling ideas:
- Laundry room: If your laundry room is in the basement and you have no space upstairs, you can build a small laundry room in your garage. This will eliminate the need to go up and down the stairs.
- Mudroom: Protect your home from outdoor dirt and debris by encouraging everyone to leave their shoes and other outdoor gear here. Install a sink for easier cleanup.
- Music studio: This is where many “garage bands” got their start. Consider soundproofing the garage to avoid neighbours’ complaining.
When you have extra room in your home, the possibilities are endless! We hope this blog inspires you to see the potential use of your lesser-used spaces.
A Great Home Remodelling Company Motto: Planning Is Everything!
As with all aspects of Home Remodelling, a contractor’s planning is paramount and will ensure your remodelling is the best it can be. In South Surrey, M.C. Renovation & Painting is a home remodelling company that considers all factors in each project.
New Surrey Basement Remodelling
M.C. Painting & Renovation is a leader in home remodelling. We also convert unfinished basements into modern unique living spaces. Whether you’re looking to create a simple recreational area in your basement or a full basement suite, M.C. Renovation & Painting can finish your space and bring your vision through to completion!